Wednesday, April 07, 2004

The Cutesy Files

I take care of getting the kids up, ready and to school in the morning. My wife leaves for work before they get up, leaving me to face that challenge alone. And as part of our routine I give the kids a quick breakfast and prepare their lunches. They love bagels in the morning for breakfast. Cut in half, toasted and slathered with cream cheese. Or with butter or jelly in a pinch.

So one morning, after putting a bagel in the toaster I start making sandwiches. My littlest one comes to me and says "Daddy. I don't want the crust. Please cut it off". "What?" I spouted "I thought you liked crust..." And then the other one chimed in asking if I would remove her crust too...

The great crust dilemma. I had heard of it. Now I was facing it. All it takes is one crust shirker at school, and the other kids get infected...

Fortunately, the toaster popped the bagel. I told them "If you don't like crust, then you don't like bagels". They paused in thought and I continued "Look at the bagel. It has crust all the way around. If you don't like crust, then you can't like bagels". Well, that led to a reversal of thinking. They decided it would be better to have their sandwiches with crust.

Saved by the bagel...

No comments: