Thursday, October 28, 2004

Field Trip Lesson

About once a month, each of my grade-schoolers has a field trip. About 3 weeks beforehand, their teacher sends out a permission form and puts up a sign-up sheet for chaperone volunteers. The chaperone list generally fills up very fast. Especially for fun outings.

I decided to take a break from work and sign up for a community service field trip. Actually, I must confess the truth; I gave in to my eldest daughter's persistence. The sign-ups were a bit slow for this one. My daughter was very polite and determined. When I volunteered, the first question the teacher asked me was "How many kids can fit in your car?". The silent warning bells went off... But by the day of the outing there were 4 parents signed up and with the teacher we had plenty of seats and watchful eyes.

The trip was yesterday. It reminded me of my own charitable school outing experiences at about the same age. Plus, it is always good to see some of that youthful enthusiasm and energy applied towards good causes. I was the sole dad with the group. Most of the kids brought donations of clothing or food. But the most valuable contribution was their effort and what they learned.

We went to a downtown community outreach center. The staff was very gracious and explained a lot to the kids. It gave the kids (and myself) a lot to think about when one of the guys explained just how much food, clothing and shoes they give out each day. They explained how they have to think about what they give out and can't assume that the person who gets the item has even as much as a closet to keep it in. Some of the needy carry all of their stuff with them in backpacks or bags and share housing with many other people.

My charges and I were put to work greeting the people bringing donations. Clothing went in one door and food went in another. While we were there, a nice woman brought in a full set of bedding in a bag and was concerned that it stay together. It was in great condition. I asked one of the staff what to do with it. Now that the weather is colder there is more demand and it went right to the front. It came in and was given out within about 10 minutes. Another group of schoolgirls with an adult dropped off about 20 children's Halloween costumes, new in bags, along with about 50 pounds of bagged candy. I'll bet it will make for a happier Halloween for a bunch of parents and kids. When things got slow in the back we got to help sort food or sort and hang up clothes.

By helping alongside the kids, I was reminded of how fortunate I am and how valuable it is to share good fortune. It was good seeing the kids get a good dose of this as well. Plus, I think that all that exuberant youthful energy the kids provided had a rejuvenating effect on the staff. The staff was certainly plentiful with their praise and thanks at the end.

My lesson from taking part in this? Charity isn't guaged by what you give, but by how you give. Charity isn't what's in the bag, it's what's in the person. I have my eldest daughter to thank for twisting my arm to go.

Sox Cheer

Congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans. They won the world series very convincingly!

In doing so, they managed to undermine one of the fatalistic underpinnings of New England sports culture. The curse. But I'm sure they'll learn to survive without it.

No comments: