Thursday, August 25, 2005

DW @ Nashville CATS

My dear wife recently got back from a trip to the Nashville CATS get-together. No, it had nothing to do with feline mammals ... at least not that I know of. From what I can tell, it's a cult gathering for cross stitchers, the vast majority of whom are women.

DW had minor adventures crossing between Western and Eastern US. This mostly involved air travel foibles, of course. From what I gather, she had 2+ wonderful days while she was there. She got home bubbly, happy and excited about all the online friends and acquaintances whom she finally got to meet in person. As well as the antics of her group. That was followed by announcing that she was sore, tired, worn out, etc.

Before DW left, we talked about the trip with the kids. Mom would be going away for a few days and I was staying home with them. "Mommy is going to go to a stitching show to have fun with her stitching friends". A "slumber party" of sorts. Of course, that just made the girls want to go too, but we told them it was far, far away and just Mommy was going. Later, I think I put it in another perspective as a "big girl's slumber party" and "stitchers wild weekend out".

While she was there she hooked up with a good number of online stitching buddies, did the stitching show, did the town, reveled in the "power of perky puppies". Apparently Nashville survived...

So DW got back and was telling us how well she "behaved herself" and showed "restraint". Yep, that was just before pulling out her treasure trove of acquisitions. Oh, and I shouldn't forget the nice tee shirts as gifts for me and the girls. Thanks dear!

What Ever Happened to So-and-So?

The local paper carries a column called "Male Call" that has humorous anecdotes from the guy perspective in response to letters sent in. In a recent one, they talk about googling old girlfriends online and who hasn't done it. Well, I hadn't, but since they mentioned it...

I did a google search for my highschool girlfriend. I knew that after highschool she went into college as pre-med and later got married to someone there. But I had lost track long ago. Well ... remarkably enough I found her. There she was, going by her maiden name with a Dr and MD, PhD around it. A medical research associate.

Atta way! It is always good to see hopes and dreams achieved. No contact info though.

How can something so good be so bad?

I'll admit it. I enjoy being a bit irreverent. At my house, the name used for the local donut chain's shop is "Krusty Kreme". Krispy? Krusty? When it comes to Kreme (if it's anything like cream) what's the difference? The local Krusty Kreme makes Sugar Coated Fat Pills. Yes, even my dear wife and the girls call them that now. It doesn't seem to have dampened the appeal much. We'll be shopping nearby and there will be that enticing aroma. "Hmmm, fresh sugar coated fat pills. Yum!".

At the local indoor mall there are strategically placed shops with Cookies or Candies or Ice Cream or Cinnabons or smoothies or... You can't go more than a couple stores without a new aroma and visual enticements. Oh come on, you know you deserve it, treat yourself... And there seem to be a lot of people who can't make it more than a couple stores without indulging themselves.

Direct marketing to the indulgent consumptive. Or is that the impulsive indulgent... Anyways, I've even offered to educate the people in line. "Hey, don't you know those things make you fat?" But somehow my instinct for self preservation takes over...

No comments: