Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Motivational Cuteness

Results reflect upon the true motivators...

On normal school days trying to get my 2 girls up and going is like herding turtles. Okay, what kid leaps out of bed rushing to get ready for a day of school? I know I didn't. About a week ago, after repeatedly urging them along and scolding them for goofing around while they were supposed to be ready, my oldest daughter nonchalantly says "Daddy, can we get to school earlier so we have more time with our friends before class". Eureka, they figured out a sure way of putting Dad over the edge. Yes, I was rather loud as I told her "We WOULD be at school earlier if WE didn't have to wait for YOU fooling around every morning".

And now the part about motivators...

This morning they were up and getting dressed as soon as their alarm went off. They got their clothes ready the night before and were dressed and done making their own lunches before I made it to the kitchen. They even had an eggo toasted and ready for me! The older daughter was urging and helping the younger one along. Was it because I had threatened them with something? No. Was it because I promised them something? No. It was because my older daughter had a school field trip that she had to be at school early for or they'd leave without her. And was she ever motivated! When we got to school they were just unlocking the gates.

Now I know I can't expect a field trip every day. But I did see the remarkable difference between today's preparations and those from just yesterday. So I will keep at the usual threatening and punishment. "If you aren't dressed and ready to go by 7:30 then you will go to bed early tonight." I will keep up the praising. "Good job, we got to school on time." But the best motivation is from making the motives thiers. "What time do you want to get to school so you have time with your friends before class?" "I know we can make it to school by 7:45 if we don't fool around." Now if only those motives would work as good as a field trip did...

No comments: