Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Life Is

Taking the first thing that comes to your mind, complete the sentence:

Life is ...

Even better, write down that sentence and use it as a response (comment) below.

Back during the "Happiness is..." era, I had a housemate who collected phrases starting with "life is...". It was a quirky hobby, but it was also entertaining what people came up with. He would just ask and wait for a response. The first time he asked me (completely out of the blue, as always) I remember that I was feeling a bit of a curmudgeon with my work and school load and mumbled something like "life is inflicted on us". I don't think he expected something that dark from me, paused a moment, and then wandered off jotting it down. Normally I'm much more of a "life is good" guy. Plain and simple and optimistically upbeat. Years later...

A favorite of my wife and I is Jake, the "life is good" guy that we now have on a number of our shirts. A worthy message. Because, in spite of all the detractors, life is good.

The results of completing that phrase often reflects on moods or philosophical pondering. Over the years I've run across some good additions to the collection and made note...

My list along the way:
-----------------------------------------------
Life is like a handkerchief sandwich.
Life is a bitch, then you die.
Life is a long and winding road.
Life is a game where the object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Life is what you make of it.
Life is a small boat tossed about in a big sea of hopes.
Life is a miracle.
Life is a Long Song (Jethro Tull).
Life is killing me.
Life is too short for cheap beer (booze, chocolate, etc).
Life is for living.
Life is but a dream (childrens song; Row, Row, Row Your Boat)
...life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. (Forrest Gump)
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. (John Lennon)
Life is your story, and if you aren't going to be the hero then who is?
Life is good!

Please add yours below...

No comments: