Friday, March 25, 2005

Little Squaw with Big Eagle Feathers

My eldest daughter is studying Native American history in her 3rd grade class. Earlier this week she came home wearing a headdress that was a headband with feathers she made out of decorated construction paper. The next day she wore it back to school again. While I was tempted to ask "aren't you too old to wear stuff like that", I also remember back to when I was her age and the fun imaginary times I enjoyed. Given the chance, I would have worn Batman or some other superhero garb through most of early grade school. I know someday she will outgrow it, which makes it that much more precious today. Plus I can get those embarrassing photos to show later...

The reason she was wearing it? She was playing "Cops and Indians" with the boys. She was one of the chiefs that the cops had to catch. The total mismatch and disregard of stereotypes had me chuckling.

After she headed out to play I got the chance to talk with her teacher who was monitoring the playground. She told me about how careful they have to be with the materials so that they are "politically correct" and age-relevant. While I hope my daughter does learn the truthful history, I also realize that the truths of the European territorial aggression, subjugation, slavery and genocide of the native peoples that led to the North American nations we have today raises a lot of philosophical and humanity questions that she isn't ready for. So Cops and Indians it is, for now.

Yes, I do call her "little squaw with big eagle feathers" when she puts the headdress on. Sure there's a little poke of fun in there and I think she knows it. But there is also a good dose of acknowledgment and respect in there too.

No comments: